Pages

Wednesday, 22 April 2009

Childfriendly

Last week I put my hand up to join a local committee the child friendly city working party.

Did you know that Bendigo is the first city in Australia to be recognised as a Child Friendly City by the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) in 2007. That is pretty exciting!

Not long ago I had a job interview with the Children and Family services with the local council to be one of their project workers and put together their children's festival. At the interview I experienced total memory recall of a past life working in a local government setting and it wasn't the greatest! So I decided to stick out my current job, despite working within unrealistic hours and goals. - but then who isn't?

So I hope through joining this committee I still have the opportunity to focus Council's activities more sharply on children.

There are a lot of things happening with children services and schools here that make me cross - this concept of SUPER schools, the one stop shop for childcare, kinder and maternal childhood services - madness - completely kills community, culture and simply builds a bigger bureaucracy for people to wade there way through - forget encouraging exceptional children, families. This is one reason that we are selling up and leaving the community we are living in. I am not keen on my children growing up in a SUPER sized community.


1 comment:

Rochelle said...

What's happening in Eaglehawk??
And what's that scary ninja doing? He kinda reminds me of that video, star wars kid... tehehe

There was an error in this gadget

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails